This is a great interview with Stephen King.
Here are some of my favorite quotes:
- “You can’t command a kid to have fun, but you can make the classroom a place that feels safe, where interesting things happen. I wanted every 50-minute class to feel like half an hour.”
- “Reading good fiction is like making the jump from masturbation to sex.”
- “My rule of thumb is that a short story of 3,000 words should be rewritten down to 2,500.”
- “I used to tell (my students) that if you could put together a model car or assemble a piece of furniture from directions, you could write a sentence. Reading is the key, though. A kid who grows up hearing ‘It don’t matter to me’ can only learndoesn’t if he/she reads it over and over again.”
- “Always ask the student writer, ‘What do you want to say?’ Every sentence that answers that question is part of the essay or story. Every sentence that does not needs to go. I don’t think it’s the words per se, it’s the sentences.”